Temporary Anaesthetic Assistant - Queen Elizabeth Hospital (KCC2001039)
Position : Temporary Anaesthetic Assistant
Rank : Patient Care Assistant I
Office : Department of Anaesthesiology & OT Services, Queen Elizabeth Hospital
Pay : HK$21,389 per month (See Remarks 2)
1. Assist anaesthesiologists and nursing staff in anaesthetic and operating procedures including all types of anaesthesia in peripheral areas outside operating theatre.
2. Check and prepare anesthesia machines, monitors and apparatus.
3. Clean, disinfect and sterilize OT instrument/equipment in accordance with infection control policy.
4. Maintain cleanliness and tidiness of the OT environment and equipment independently.
5. Assist in observation, monitoring, and recording of patient's vital signs and general conditions during surgery and anaesthesia and recovery.
6. Set up and assist in anaesthetic procedures, including intravenous, arterial and central venous cannulation, regional anaesthesia, and pain management procedures under aseptic technique.
7. Provide assistance before/after and during the operating procedures e.g. adjust the operating lights, assist in patient positioning, transport patients etc.
8. Assist in the housekeeping of anaesthetic consumables, equipments, accessories of equipments, operating tables and daily supplies to ensure all records are updated, good store management and adequate stock level.
9. Clean, sterilize and stock take, handle and test sterile instruments and equipments and ensure they are in order.
10. Handle, check, record, pack, label and transport sterilized instruments.
11. Assist to train and coach less experienced/ junior staff.
12. Support clerical and administrative duties, such as data processing, medical records, research studies and computerized patient records system.
13. Participate in quality improvement activities.
14. Collect blood samples and perform point-of-care laboratory investigations when required.
15. Perform other related duties as assigned by supervisors.
1. F.5 / S.5 with passes in HKCEE Chinese Language & English Language or Level 2 or above in Chinese Language & English Language in HKDSE or equivalent.
2. Completed Corporate Patient Care Assistant (Anaesthetic Assistant) Training Program organized by HAHO (see Remark 2).
3. Possess at least 3 years’ relevant work experience (see Remark 2).
4. Able to speak fluent Cantonese, write and read Chinese and English, and speak English.
Preferred Attributes :
1. Experience in related healthcare setting.
2. Holder of Associate Degree / Higher Diploma in Health Care.
3. Possession of relevant training or working experience in Operating Theatre.
4. Pleasant and mature. Interest in working in operating theatre. Able to handle emergency situations.
5. Knowledge in computer data input will be an added asset.
6. Basic IT (Word / Excel / PowerPoint etc) knowledge and skills.
1. Selected candidate will be appointed on temporary terms for a period up to 31 January 2021.
2. Applicants who do not meet entry requirements (2), (3), if find suitable, will be employed to undergo at least 3 years’ on the job training. The staff will be initially appointed as Patient Care Assistant II at a monthly salary of $16,994 to undergo at least 6 months’ structured departmental training or Corporate Patient Care Assistant (Anaesthetic Assistant) Training Program organized by HAHO. After completing the structured departmental training or Corporate Training, passing the assessment, their monthly salary will be adjusted to $18,693. The staff will then continue to undergo an addition of at least 2 years’ on-the-job training including the Corporate Patient Care Assistant (Anaesthetic Assistant) Training Program organized by HAHO. After completing a total training period of at least 3 years and passing the end of training assessment on skills and performance, the staff will be appointed as Patient Care Assistant I at a monthly salary of $21,389. Employment may be terminated if the selected applicant cannot pass the assessment after training.
3. Required to work shifts and irregular hours, during typhoons, rainstorms and other emergencies.
4. Required to wear uniform, N-95 mask and other personal protective devices if needed.
5. May be required to work in another work location to meet service needs of the HA.
6. The renewal/extension of appointment will be subject to service needs and job performance.
7. Please submit on-line application on or before 29 January 2020 by entering the below URL:
For enquiries, please telephone 3506 8241.